Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What Does It Mean In Aniak?

Our daughter, Miranda, has announced her impressive quest to learn additional languages (in addition to Spanish and Latin).  But I think that Beth and I have her beat.  We are still trying to master native Alaskan!  Of course, I do not mean Yu'pik.  That is a language spoken by a few of the locals and sounds a lot like a cross between German and...something else.  Many people worldwide have the impression that all Alaskans probably sound like Sarah Palin, but in reality, that sounds more Minnesotan.  The locals here in Aniak and surrounding ares speak with an accent that sounds a little northern plains and a little Asian.

Now, we all have our way to say certain things.  But let me educate ya'll (did you like that one?) on some of the interesting ways that folks in the YK delta (Yukon-Kuskokwim) say it...
The Kuskokwim River with snow on the Russian Mtns in summer

We had an employee that did not show up for work one day, and while that is not real strange in and of itself, his brother showed up at the store the next day and told us our employee was on vacation!  WHAT?!?  
Now, I had heard that one before...Oh yeah, there was the business owner who had just returned from "vacation" just before we had arrived here in Aniak.  Now I remember..."vacation" means you are in jail!  So now I need to be careful when I ask Beth where she might like to go for vacation next year.  I do not want her to get the wrong impression.

I had never heard this next one before but it kind of makes sense:  "Can I get a half-rack?"  I always thought that was in reference to baby back pork ribs but here it refers to a twelve pack.  Or how about "I will trade you a jug for...".  Of course that one unfortunately refers to a bottle of R & R whiskey.

But the best ones I have been exposed to a lot recently have taken me a while to figure out.  These two really go together and sometimes you might even hear them uttered back-to-back.  "Where you are going?"  and "What you are doing?"  Try saying those two with that slight northern plains mixed with Asian.  Short tangent here...

I had the misfortune of taking second semester sophomore English in high school due to bringing home a D from the first attempt.  I think my parents were a little surprised by my lack of understanding the only language that was spoken in our home. But, I, even I, understand that something is amiss in the way these questions are phrased.
No, I am not moose hunting...I do not need the meat.

Now, just so you understand, lately those two questions are followed by "moose hunting" and "up the Aniak".  So at least everyone understands the question even though they re phrased a little strangely.

Lastly, the village favorite is still what follows after you have teased someone..."I joke, I lie".

No joke...that is snow on the Russian Mtns!!!


We are becoming multilingual in Aniak, Alaska!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are hilarious. So glad you are broadening your languages??????????????

    Love hearing from you!

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete